Wednesday, January 14, 2015

60 Days

It came on like a light bulb when I was at the grocery store, wandering the aisles looking for canned pumpkin. I had spent the morning feeling the same familiar sense of emptiness over current events in my life. Earlier, I found myself asking these questions: Where is the solution? What is the lesson?

It all seemed like an ongoing train of the same thing, traveling in a circle and passing me by, over and over.

And then it dawned on me - why not give this a deadline? So simple. I can speak that language and deadlines keep me on track. I started today.
60 days seems like a good and fair number to give thought to any challenge or potential life-change. There is no need to burn down Rome today, or tomorrow or next week. Put that fight vs. flight thing back in the closet and allow sane thoughts to prevail.
Having a time-line is so much better than just bumping along on a seemingly aimless road, hoping that one day things might change or magically get better. Or in my case, bolting just because that is what I've always done.
I've been doing stuff on auto pilot for a long time and perhaps it is time to attract better energy into my life. Habits are powerful and it is time to do a reset.

The plan is to keep a pulse on a daily basis, checking in on myself a few times a day to monitor where I am with my thoughts, my heart. Keeping a daily journal during this time, even if it’s just a sentence or two to describe the experience of the day. Notate if it was positive or negative. How did it feel and what did I do to take care of myself that day?
I also included a list of questions that I want to get answered during these two months. This is very important.

At the end of that 60 day period, It will be time for me to address the issue that has prevented me from moving forward. I’ll be able to go through my journal to see if I have been able to get unstuck or if a solution is presenting itself on the horizon. Is it tolerable? Time to change? Will it be time for a plan B? Or move steadily ahead with where I am at in the process? Either way, I think I’ll be in more of an informed position to make a move.

It's a promise to myself to stop wasting my power.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a solid plan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sixty days...could be a release date or a death sentence depending on which side of the fence you are standing on. Everything is going fine until six days in when someone gets shanked in the yard. Do you beat feet to the infirmary and seek some healing, hoping for the best...positive. Or do you just lay there and take it...ride it out and see if it is a glorious release date or cave and accept the inevitable. Sixty days and the lights go out...or the lights get brighter. Depends on which side of the fence you you are standing on I suppose. Just let me finish my pie, it's all I have left...and who knows, maybe I'll get to have another slice someday.

    ReplyDelete